Cumulus conference Roma 2020
Aligned with the vision of Cumulus Association, the aim of the Conference is to map the most advanced research and education in design, by reflecting on the idea of design as a form of culture, while drawing its field and opening to new directions.
Design Culture(s) is investigating not simply on the concept of culture as a monolithic expression of a specific knowledge that reflects on itself, but as the product of an investigation that is open to many different “Cultures” which are emerging and revolving around it in society, in the places and in history.
Design as expression of Culture(s) is taking into consideration the cultures we are inheriting from the past and which should be granted for the benefit of future generations, so intertwining past and future, tangible and intangible, innovation and tradition.
This is the time when it is urgent to multiply the opportunities for knowledge sharing and dissemination, in order to tackle the cultural, societal, economical, technological and industrial shifts of the future, through design education and research.
In 2020 Cumulus Association will turn 30 years old!
Design Culture(s) wants also to celebrate with all of you the richness of Cultures that Cumulus Community express!
Tracks: The Conference is organized into 9 parallel tracks in order to address several different Cultures of Design. Each track is described with only three keywords to tackle and explore all possible approaches, methods, visions, experiments that can draw the scenario of different Design Cultures. Therefore, authors are invited to send innovative, original, inspiring and disruptive ideas in their contributions.
- CULTURE (OF) ARTIFICIAL _ DIGITAL | TECHNOLOGY | ROBOTICS
- CULTURE (OF) LANGUAGES _ AESTHETICS | EXPRESSION | VISUAL
- CULTURE (OF) LIFE _ NATURE | BIOLOGY | HUMAN
- CULTURE (OF) MAKING _ PROCESS | MANUFACTURING | POST-INDUSTRY
- CULTURE (OF) MULTIPLICITY _ GENDER | PLURALISM | DIVERSITY
- CULTURE (OF) PROXIMITY _ PLACES | PEOPLE | ECONOMY
- CULTURE (OF) RESILIENCE _ SOCIAL INNOVATION | CIRCULAR ECONOMY | SUSTAINABILITY
- CULTURE (OF) REVOLUTION _ CRITICAL THINKING | DISRUPTION | CHANGE
- CULTURE (OF) THINKING _ THEORY | HISTORY | CRITICS
We are inviting all the Cumulus Community to reply to three different calls:
- Call for Papers, divided in Call for Long Abstract (deadline 01 October 2019) and after the first selection the Call for Full Paper (deadline 01 of February 2020)
- Call for Poster (deadline 01 of February 2020)
Special Call for Exhibitions (deadline 01 of February 2020)
Registration will be open from 01 December 2019.