Contents of the competition: The NPO Asian Institute of Low Carbon Design (AILCD) is pleased to invite students from all over the world to take part in the 9th AILCD International Student Design Competition.
The theme of this year is “Less is MOji REboot the City”. The competition addresses the problem of urban shrinkage in the Mojiko area in Kitakyushu. The competition asks the students to re-design the urban landscape and to make a proposal for a low carbon urban project within this area. Urban shrinkage should be considered as a real problem for targeted area and the city of Kitakyushu.
Competition Site: Mojiko area, in the east of Kitakyushu (Japan)
Organizer: NPO Asian Institute of Low Carbon Design, The University of Kitakyushu (Japan)
Theme: Less is MOji REboot the City
Admission: Multidisciplinary teams of Graduate (Master and PhD students) and Undergraduate students from Architecture, Landscape, Civil Engineering and related disciplines are accepted. Team and individual entries are accepted. Only one project may be submitted per person or per team.
You can choose the whole area of Mojiko or only one specific part, for example 2 or 3 sites within the same competition site area as the site for your proposal. All proposals should contain one or more of below features:
- urban shrinkage
- low carbon city concept
- overall sustainable concept
- green space design
- usage of renewable energy systems
- sustainable transport systems
- connection to the surrounding area
Jury Chairman Prof. Bart Dewancker, The University of Kitakyushu (Japan)
- Arch. Zhu Wang, Prof. Zhejiang University (China)
- Prof. Yue Fan, Dalian University of Technology (China)
- Prof. Dian Zhou, Xian Jiaotong University (China)
- Prof. Yiyin Tsai, Chung Hua University (Taiwan)
- Arch. Mochamad Donny Koerniawan, Institut Teknologi Bandung (Indonesia)
- Arch. Fritz Akhmad Nuzir, Bandar Lampung University (Indonesia)
- Arch. Tanaphoom Wongbumru, Rajamangala University of Technology Thanyaburi (Thailand)
- Prof. Hiroatsu Fukuda, The University of Kitakyushu (Japan)
- 20 May 2019 Competition announcement, registration starting date
- 1 November 2019 Registration deadline
- 11 November 2019 Closing date for proposal submissions
- 13 December 2019 Announcement winning proposals (Students of the winning projects are invited to participate in the International Conference and Workshop “Less is MOji REboot the City”, held from 15 February until 1 March 2020 in Kitakyushu, Japan)
- End February 2020 Award Ceremony: at the International Conference and Workshop “Less is MOji REboot the City”, held from 15 February until 1 March 2020 in Kitakyushu, Japan)
- Feb. March 2020 Exhibition: All entries will be exhibited during the International Conference and Workshop “Less is MOji REboot the City”, held from 15 February until 1 March 2020 in Kitakyushu, Japan)
- First Prize: 50,000 Yen and a certificate
- Second Prize: 30,000 Yen and a certificate
- Third Prize: 10,000 Yen and a certificate
- 7 Honorable Mentions: Certificate
Registration Fee: No registration fees are required for the competition.
Language: The official language of the competition is English.